Here’s what you need to know:
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health urged residents to do so on Friday While the virus continues to rise rapidly, stay home and rule out gatherings both in public in private homes when people come from different households.
The restrictions announced on Friday were not unexpected. Los Angeles County officials have gradually tightened health restrictions, but not yet to the shutdown levels imposed at the beginning of the pandemic.
The county had set a threshold for the restrictions averaging 4,500 daily cases over five days. That threshold was exceeded earlier than expected: the five-day average of new cases reported on Friday was 4,751. Almost 400,000 people in the county had the virus, more than most states.
The directive provides for church services and protests and states that both are constitutionally protected rights. It sets maximum occupancy rates for various businesses, including non-essential retail, library, and recreational activities, and provides a nationwide ban on personal dining in restaurants and bars because diners cannot wear face masks while eating or drinking.
However, take-out and delivery services for restaurants are still allowed.
The policy is less stringent than Governor Gavin Newsom’s statewide order in March that closed schools and most businesses and restricted public movement, with the exception of key workers or essential activities such as buying food and medicines.
As new COVID-19 cases remain alarming and the number of people in hospitals continues to grow, a temporary order is being issued by the Los Angeles County Health Commissioner requiring additional security measures in various sectors.
– LA Public Health (@lapublichealth) November 27, 2020
“We know we ask a lot of so many who have made sacrifices for months,” said Barbara Ferrer, public health director. “It is important that we act with collective urgency now if we are to put an end to this surge.”
The provisional order will take effect on Monday November 30th and will remain in effect until December 20th.
For companies to stay open, customers must wear face masks and be at least three feet apart.
According to the policy, schools and day camps can remain open. However, day camps and high school-level schools and below must be closed for two weeks if they report an outbreak that the county has defined as three or more cases over 14 days.
Last week, California officials announced a curfew that banned almost all residents of the state from leaving their homes to do unnecessary work or gathering after 10 p.m. until 5 a.m.
The new home stay order has been described as more limited than the governor’s spring order. In addition to the overnight application, it initially has an integrated expiry date and only applies to so-called Purple Tier Counties, which are subject to the strictest restrictions of the state in their reopening plan. It is in effect until the morning of December 21st.
“We are sounding the alarm,” said Governor Gavin Newsom when the order was given. “It is critical that we reduce transmission and slow hospital stays before deaths rise. We have done it before and we have to do it again. “
On Sunday, the county issued orders to most restaurants to dine both outdoors and indoors from Wednesday. This limited these businesses to take-out, drive-through and delivery services and sparked a backlash from restaurant owners whose businesses were slammed.
Los Angeles County is home to some of the most densely populated neighborhoods in the country, many of which live in multi-generational homes and workers unable to telework, according to The Associated Press.